As one of de yoots dem back when I first got sucked into a comic shop, the big three publishers were Marvel and DC with Eclipse Comics bringing up the rear. Eclipse looked initially exciting because I'd never heard of them, but - excepting Alan Moore's Miracleman - nothing much grabbed me on closer inspection and ESPers was one of those titles which didn't grab me, possibly because I was a very superficial person. I'm coming back to it now for the first time as homework of sorts, in preparation for re-reading James D. Hudnall's run on Marvel's Alpha Flight for Beautiful Mutants, my magnum opus which will be read by three people if I'm lucky, with one of those people being me. I'm also getting around to ESPers in vague hope of correcting a poorly quantified deficit in the general flow of publishing karma. I briefly met Hudnall at some comic book thing back when he'd just had Lex Luthor: the Unauthorized Biography published by DC, about which he was obviously excited while I stood there mumbling my gormless enthusiasm for Alpha Flight, additionally throwing in one or two mutant themed questions that most twelve-year olds would have been too self-conscious to ask. Then years fly by and I come to notice that Hudnall passed on in 2019 which, tenuous though my connection undoubtedly may be, seems shitty and unfair even to me. He was a nice guy who seemed to have great potential as a writer, at least of comic books, and I don't even know if he made a living at it.
So it goes.
I hadn't even realised ESPers, the name of which I remember well, was one of his, specifically his first book. To be fair, it's not the most solid start to a career, and the first of the five issues collected here remind me that I was left underwhelmed by at least the first two issues of Hudnall's Interface, which I now discover to have been the continuation of ESPers. The stylistic influence of both Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns is tangible in the tone of what kicks off in much the same way as so many first efforts tend to kick off*. I suppose you could call it a high-tech thriller, albeit one from an era in which the Sinclair ZX81 was not yet old enough to be deemed hilarious, so it has the slightly exhausting focus of Lynda La Plante channelled by someone who probably wasn't quite ready to be teamed up with David Lloyd. ESPers, as I half suspected at the time, answers the question, what if we had the X-Men in the real world, albeit allowing for a fairly loose grasp on what constitutes the real world - no costumes, no codenames, no aliens, and their powers are either telepathy or something similar and - you know - that stuff is kind of real if you squint a bit, maybe; plus it's the real world as seen in Bond movies, with some bad guys planning to detonate an atomic bomb in the middle of the Lebanon. Plus each issue closed with two pages of a related ESPer prose story of which the two paragraphs I managed were barely readable - although to be fair, comic book writers rarely make decent novelists, which is fine because it goes both ways.
However, by the fifth issue, you realise you've been reading for pleasure rather than out of duty, and even if you still have no fucking clue who any of these people are supposed to be, it somehow leaves you wanting more; or has done with me. I guess Hudnall was learning on the job here, and apparently learning fast, and while ESPers doesn't say much about anything in particular, it finishes superior to anything with which it might have been initially compared when you started; and the art is gorgeous, obviously.
His run on Alpha Flight was fucking great, by the way.
*: It has certain things in common with Berserker, which was my own first effort along depressingly similar lines and yet another real world superhero. It took me two months to produce the first seven pages, at which point I thankfully realised that it was garbage. A later version was drawn by Charlie Adlard but nothing came of it because I still hadn't come up with a story.

No comments:
Post a Comment