Saturday 27 July 2024

Your Dreams


Thomas Moore Your Dreams (2023)
Thomas Moore further explores his own seemingly insubstantial existence as he's driven forward by desires which he doesn't quite seem to trust, and which he regards with a certain emotional detachment - which I find quite refreshing and a welcome variation on the usual invitations to spend time rolling around in some stranger's inscrutable fantasy.

 

I think about the idea of community and about how weird it is now that everyone wants to be part of one community or another. Growing up, being part of "the gay scene" seemed too repulsive to me. It represented exclusion, it represented consumerism, body fascism, shit music, assimilation, and the idea of shared community was such a reductionist way of thinking - a sexual preference didn't make me share anything else. The mainstream gays would scowl at me.


Regardless of my own sexual preferences, I feel like I've been waiting half a century for someone to express this. Moore goes places I wouldn't want to go, but for reasons other than customarily waving an assortment of cocks and fannies in your face, thus leaving the somewhat redundant transgressive tag looking ever more like the cliché that it is. Your Dreams concludes on a surprisingly post-modern note involving the author, potential reactions to his work - specifically that which we've just read - then his reactions to our reactions and whether any of it means anything. It could have been a bit too self-conscious for its own good, and yet it works and makes sense as part of the whole.

As with his previous books, what Moore does is so nuanced as to reduce most attempts at description to hopeless generalisation, and I'm not sure that anyone else is doing it. That's a recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment