Tuesday 13 September 2022

Getting Even


Woody Allen Getting Even (1972)
I'm not sure there's really much I can say about this one which I didn't already say back in April last year, so in summary - yes, the man is a wrong 'un, but unfortunately this is still funny. Sorry.

Highlights include:

Therefore the Cartesian dictum 'I think, therefore I am' might better be expressed 'Hey, there goes Edna with a saxophone!'


...and, of course, the astonishing testimony of Friedrich Schmeed, barber to the Third Reich:

I did not know Hitler was a Nazi. The truth was, for years I thought he worked for the phone company.


As in Without Feathers, it's mostly a transparently formulaic juxtaposition of allegedly high culture with the prosaic, mundane, and conversational, but it works for me; and at just a little over a hundred pages, Getting Even doesn't find time to over-egg this particular pudding.

No comments:

Post a Comment