Monday 19 October 2020

The Sailor on the Seas of Fate


 

Michael Moorcock The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (1976)
I don't know that I really have anything to say about this second book which I didn't already say about the first Elric title. It's maybe marginally less engaging due to the initial shock having worn off and is perhaps less self-contained than Elric of Melniboné, but Moorcock continues to piss over anything Tolkien - off the top of my head - ever wrote in producing something so resolutely of its genre yet encompassing random swerves and unexpected elements which probably wouldn't have occurred to lesser authors. The influence of Abraham Merritt seems tangible, unless it's just me, and I'm now on the lookout for the third in the series, which must count for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment