Monday 30 December 2019

The Shipeater


Rob Carter & Jamie Ortiz The Shipeater (1979)
Starblazer was a twice monthly digest sized comic book published by D.C. Thompson running from 1979 to 1991 and featuring, so I gather, a single story each issue, so not much in the way of recurring characters or scenarios. I'm not sure I'd even heard of it until long after its passing and have no memory of having seen it in any newsagent when I was a kid. It seems to have been roughly the same format as all of those Commando type things I avoided like the plague so I probably wouldn't have been looking on that particular rack; but apparently it suffered from terrible distribution, and I expect that, had I ever seen a copy, I almost certainly would have bought it, or at least thought about buying it. Apparently first formulated in 1976, by 1979 when it hit the stands, or a stand somewhere, it nevertheless looked somewhat like those Beano people hoping to wet their beaks in the 2000AD bird bath.

Anyway, I found this one in Oxfam in Coventry and couldn't really not buy it for obvious reasons. As with other offerings from the same stable, neither writer nor artist receive credit so I had to look up their names online. The art of Jamie Ortiz actually seems vaguely familiar, although it's probably more likely that he shares certain stylistic traits with other presumably Hispanic artists, notably Redondo. There's a touch of various Mikes who drew for 2000AD, outstanding dynamic figure work, and great use of shadow; and it has to be said that for all D.C. Thompson's supposed faults as publishers, they tended to employ artists who could actually draw - possibly excepting Grant Morrison in a later issue of this same organ - as distinct from IPC whose annuals were often cursed with eye poppingly wonky sub-fanzine level work. They also had a copy of the 1980 Dan Dare annual in that same Oxfam and it was pretty ropey.

As a story, The Shipeater is your basic modular opera with space cops solving space mysteries, the sort of thing which could quite easily be recycled as the aforementioned Dan Dare or Captain Scarlet or any of those; but there are some pleasantly weird, wonky ideas here which, combined with the wonderful art, make for the sort of thing which would have absolutely blown my nuts off had I chanced upon it back in 1979; and which remains a pleasure to read now that I'm a fat old man sat at the PC in just my underpants.

Apparently there's a shitload of this material due for a reprint, so that will definitely be one to look out for.

No comments:

Post a Comment