Tuesday 19 March 2019

Investigating UFOs


Larry Kettelkamp Investigating UFOs (1972)
There's not really much I can say about this one. It's a book I had as a kid, and may even have been the first book I actively chose from the shelves of my local WHSmiths - as opposed to it being something I was given by someone who assumed I would like it, and excepting the first five Doctor Who novelisations published - as was this - by Target. Anyway, it made a big impression. I'd heard of flying saucers, but didn't know much about them, and hadn't even come across the notion of alleged encounters with their occupants until I read about Betty and Barney Hill in this book. For better or worse, it had quite an effect on me, so inevitably I've tracked it down in hope of achieving a better understanding of myself as a kid. Investigating UFOs is a children's book, so the language is clear, with the subject simplified to some degree, and thankfully free of the crankier tone which informs most of the writing on this topic - because this was the era of children's books being written with some sense of educational responsibility. It took me about an hour to read it cover to cover, and at no point did I feel ridiculous, and it was very enjoyable; so there you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment