Monday 12 November 2018

Deadpool Classic volume two


Joe Kelly, Ed McGuinness & others Deadpool Classic volume two (1997)
Deadpool was part of what drove me away from the caped stuff back in the very early nineties, one of a number of generic vigilante types surfing in on a wave of witless wisecracks and terrible art courtesy of Todd McFarlane, Rob Liefeld and others. Years later I found myself bewildered from afar to note the popularity of a character I remembered only as one of many reasons why it didn't matter that Marvel had cancelled New Mutants. Still, my stepson seemed to be very much a fan, and against expectation I thought the film was fucking great, and my friend Steve suggested that the early issues were worth a look.

I had this collection on hand for the sake of light relief whilst wading through Alan Moore's turgid Jerusalem - not a great choice as it happens. The jokes aren't anything like so funny as I hoped, and the art is horrible. Everyone looks as though they're made of brightly coloured beach balls. It's drawn in that cutesy manga style which infects fucking everything these days. Half of the characters resemble a WeeMee or something from Deadline. It all feels like the comic book equivalent of autotune.

Maybe I'm just too old.

Maybe Deadpool just isn't very good after all.

You live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment